At first - when my clients are told they need to move towards eating a Gluten Free diet they tell me it feels like an overwhelming task where they have to "miss out" on their favourite foods over the treatment program. The purpose of today's post is one example of how to have a family favourite - Pizza - Gluten free. Who doesn't like pizza?
This recipe is a wonderful way to enjoy your food as medicine, I cant wait for you to try it!
It contains the prebiotic lactulose (sometimes sold as Actilac in chemists). This product when used in high doses can work as a laxative but in small doses its works as a prebiotic - meaning it feeds the good micro-biotia of your gut, other benefits is that it also tastes sweet.
It also contains Hemp protein powder to increase the overall protein content of the bread and also some delicious Hemp Seed oil. Hemp Seed oil is rich in Omega 6, 3 and 9 which means it is a wonderful anti-inflammatory for the body AND a lovely nutty flavour perfect for this recipe!.
So whats the benefits of ingesting Lactulose?
- Enhances the growth of Lactobaccili and Bifidobacteria species in the gut
- Decreases the growth of pathogenic bacteria such as E. Coli, Clostridia and bacteroides
Who can benefit?
Theres really no harm in eating pre-biotics in the short term but specifically this prebiotic is great for people who experience any of the following-
SIBO, Candida, Constipation, damaged colonic mucosa, people with lowered immunity & inflammatory bowel disease.
Who is not good for?
Vegans and anyone who has issues with lactose as it is made from the heating of Lactose.
4 small ripe banana (Optional: one to decorate)
200g Almond meal
2 Tbsp Hemp Protein powder
3 organic eggs
60ml Lactulose Prebiotic liquid
60ml Hemp Oil
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
Oil for baking
Desiccated coconut or almond meal for the baking
- Preheat oven to 160 degree (fan forced)
- Combine all ingredients in the food processor or if mixing by hand, add the liquids first and then the dry ingredients
- Lightly oil the loaf tin with desiccated coconut or almond meal to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Pour batter into the tin and bake for 1hour (check centre with skewer to check its ready – it should come out dry).
- Option to decorate the top of the banana bread with a slice of banana, cinnamon or desiccated coconut.